Easy Potato Broccoli Soup





Though broccoli is not one of the favorites of my house. For most of my childhood years, I didn’t even know that there is this green vegetable looking like cauliflower existed. When I grew big I found this veggie in a supermarket and brought it home. Now wondering how to cook it I went to the internet and came to know that to retain the nutritional benefits steam it and eat and so I followed the same. I steamed it and added salt and pepper and yuck !! I and my husband ate it like we are eating medicine and we did not eat it for years after that. We and most Indians do not like food until it is well cooked with spices. 

Now when I have kids I brought it again but this time I knew that I would make soup. On the internet, you will find a lot of recipes about potato broccoli soup using vegetable/chicken stock but I wanted to make a simple and easy recipe with the ingredients I had at home. So below is my recipe for cheesy and easy broccoli potato soup and this time I can assure it didn't taste like medicine.

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup broccoli florets
2. 2 potatoes
3. 1 finely chopped onion
4. 5 finely chopped garlic cloves
5. 1 teaspoon grated ginger
6. 2 tablespoon butter
7. 2 cups of water
8. Cheddar cheese
9. Garlic pepper seasoning

Steps:

1. Melt butter in a pan. Add chopped onion sauté it for 2 minutes. Then add ginger and garlic and saute till the onion becomes translucent.
2. Add chopped potatoes and cook it for 10 mins till potatoes soften a bit.
3. Add broccoli florets, stir and cover the lid for 5 mins to let broccoli also absorb the essence of onion and garlic.
4. Add water and boil for 5 more mins.
5. Now switch the flame and let it cool for some time so that it can be grinded. Grinde coarsely for a second or two.
6. Add the grinded mixture back to pan and let it cook for 5 more minutes.
7. In the end, add shredded cheese and some cream and stir so that the cheese melts in it.
8. Season it with dry grinded garlic and black pepper. Serve hot !!




Comments